Wash & Go Tips From Design Essentials
I am a fan of Design Essential products from back when I used to get my hair straightened alot at Too Groovy in ATL. Why? Because my hair was bouncy, shiny, straight and had NO heat damage. Of course when they started their line for natural hair, you know I had to jump on it. I have been using their products now (amongst many other products) for about a year now!
Check out their Wash-n-go Tips for ladies who are looking to exploring WNGs:
Wash-N-Go Shampooing Basics
- Always detangle from ends to root before shampooing to release the kinks and make the shampoo process easier.
- Detangle with either Design Essentials® HCO Leave-In Conditioner or Hydrate Leave-In Hydrating Conditioner before shampooing.
- If you experience knotting at the ends of the hair when trying to detangle, use a cream-based conditioner and use your fingers to loosen the knots before shampooing.
- Remove hair build-up without stripping the hair by shampooing with Design Essentials® Organic Cleanse Deep Conditioning Shampoo, followed by the sulfate-free Design Essentials® Natural Curl Cleanser shampoo.
Wash-N-Go Conditioning Basics
One of the challenges with Wash-N-Go hair is quickly styling before seeing frizz or shrinkage. Here are some tips to ensure adequate moisture and ample time to style.
- Use a hydrating leave-in conditioner, such as Design Essentials® Natural Moisturizing Conditioner, for achieving more volume along with a daily moisturizing agent, such as Design Essentials® Natural Daily Moisturizing Lotion, for achieving more definition as a base before using a curl enhancing product such as Design Essentials® Natural Curl Enhancing Mousse. You can let the hair air dry or diffuse with a blow dryer for more volume, and to set the style in place.
- If your hair dries quickly, apply small amounts of a moisturizing agent such as Design Essentials® Natural Daily Moisturizing Lotion to reactivate the product and make it easier to manipulate.
Wash-N-Go Custom Moisturizing Cocktails
Customizing your conditioners helps address the hair issues you see when it’s time to style. Add your conditioning cocktail, let it sit on the hair for a few minutes, then detangle and rinse, beginning with warm water and ending with a cool shot to seal in the moisture.
- To infuse moisture and help define curls, Design Essentials® Natural Moisturizing Conditioner, Express Instant Moisturizing Conditioner, and a little Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner are great product options to consider using.
- To add protein back into the hair post-coloring for strength, Design Essentials® Hydrate Leave-In Conditioner, DEEP Fortifying Conditioner and Natural Moisturizing Conditioner are perfect solutions.
Wash-N-Go Makeshift Steamer at Home
If your hair still craves moisture in between visits under your stylist’s professional steamer, here’s how to create your own home steaming session.
- Place a plastic cap over clean and conditioned hair.
- Microwave a towel soaked in hot water for 1 minute and place it around the plastic cap.
- Place another plastic cap on top and sit under the dryer for 10 minutes.
- Or, apply your conditioner while in the shower, and allow the steam to penetrate your hair for 10 minutes.
Check out two of their hair models and learn how to get their style:
Tiffany’s shoulder-length curly fro turns into a cool and edgy look with multiple pompadours. After cleansing and conditioning, each section of hair is parted horizontally and detangled. Each section is gathered and rolled, securing the end with pins and tucking. The look is finished with Design Essentials® Diamond Oil Sheen for extra shine and polish. This look can last with a satin bonnet at night and readjusting any pins that become loosened.
Ashley’s medium length natural hair was swept into a polished and pretty chignon that’s a snap to do. If you are short on time, you can recreate this look by simply twisting the hair back. Begin with a deep off-center part, and work your way back from the front of the hair. Smooth edges while maintaining the natural texture by applying a little of Design Essentials® Curl Enhancing Mousse to the edges and smoothing with fingers. This look will last a few days by securing with a scarf.