While traveling to places like Ghana & Guatemala, I have been saving money and getting SPACE. Hotels are cool and I have been staying in hotels all of my life. SPACE…to me on vacation is Heaven. Imagine having more space and paying the same price or less money than a hotel!
AirBNB.com is the plug for staying all over the world in someone’s home- you can rent a room or rent an entire house. Imagine staying in a villa in Jamaica on the beach or a tree house in Montana, you can do this through AirBNB.
In Guatemala, most of the hotels were maybe $100-140 a night. It was 3 of us and we were able to spend around $120 a night for a 2 floor villa with panoramic rooftop views of volcanoes in Antigua. We had a housekeeper who was available for all of the villas and it was peaceful and quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the city center.
In Cape Coast, Ghana, we stayed in a 3 bedroom beach house blocks from the ocean for LESS than a hotel. That’s right! 3 bedrooms and 3 full bathrooms. We each had our own room and bathroom for a small portion of what we would have paid in a hotel.
I’m all about my space. I grew up as a only child (having all older sisters), so I don’t really like being up under multiple people if I don’t have to. I like to be able to spread out my stuff too. Everyone knows how junky a hotel room can be with 4 people spreading out their suitcases and belongings. You won’t be able to see the carpet after a half a day lol.
Why should you consider AirBNB.com?
- It’s generally a cheaper alternative to staying at a hotel. Prices start probably as low as $10 a night.
- The more people, the merrier! You can rent anywhere from a tent or room to a mansion.
- You can see reviews like you see reviews from hotels. They are generally even more thorough.
- You can stay remote or in the city center. Airbnb is worldwide. Going to a random village in The Philippines, no problem! Visiting a lake in Arizona, no problem!
- You still may get a housekeeper and sometimes even a chef, chauffeur and more. You can still get similar amenities based on the listings.
- SPACE…this is #1 for me! For the same price or less you can live it up nicely in someones house.
As a precaution, only stay at places with several reviews. You want to get a thorough idea of the hosts and the location (especially if you are by yourself or renting a room). Pay attention to all of the details. If you are renting a room in someones house for example, is your bathroom in your room or is it a shared bathroom? Will you have a lock on your door? Pay attention to everything so you can make sure you have an issue-free vacation.
Thinking about AirBNB? Get a $35 credit when you sign up through this link AirBNB.com